Sunday, February 10, 2008

VALENTINES DAY

This Thursday is Valentines Day. I can not believe that it has been 5 years since the big Valentines Flop. Most people know what happened but it is funny, everytime that I hear a talk show host read a commercial for a particular Teddy Bear Company, I start to laugh.

For those that do not know what happened, here is the abridged version. Mr O'Malley on Valentines Day gave 2 stuffed animals to 2 girls at his place of employment. That weekend there was a major blizzard and he had 2 extra days off from work. When he came back to work he got called into his supervisors office and was told that by giving "sensual" gifts to those that one really doesn't know is considered sexual harassment. The two girls reported the incident to the human resources department, and the shit hit the fan.

It was another supervisor, who is friendly with a morning talk show host who saved my ass. This particular supervisor called that host who brought the incident up on his airwaves. This attracted the attention of Glen Beck, who at the time was hosting his 9am to Noon nationally syndicated talk show out of the same studios. Glenn Beck talked about this story on his airwaves, and when those in Mr O'Malleys workplace heard about this, the charges of sexual harassment were thrown out.

To this day Mr O thanks this particular supervisor, and every time he sees one of the girls that did this to him, he refers to her as THE SFACHEME. The other girl quit some time ago, but THE SFACHEME is still there, and as she gets older gets uglier.

4 comments:

The Chief said...

This was a travesty. I recall the incident being related to me. There is a line between sexual harassment and not - this line was most certainly NOT crossed in this case. First, they never asked you to not do it and second, a gift such as this did not mean you wanted something from them.

It's sad how you cannot be friendly towards others anymore.

By the way, please explain "SFACHEME" - I am dumbfounded here.

MR LAYTOM or MR GANZ said...

SFACHEME is a term used by Talk Show legend Bob Grant in referring to the former governor of NY Mario Cuomo. The word means two faced in Italian, but was more correctly used as describing somebody as a phony. The girl in my case has to be one of the biggest phonies that I have ever met, therefore I endow her and another man at my place of employment as Sfacheme.

The Chief said...

I see... we've always just said "due facce" which is "two-faced" literally translated.

Elgarf said...

Happy anniversary. I can't believe it has been so long since this happened. As for the Sfacheme, I knew that your reference point was the legendary Mr. Grant, but I did not recall the translation.